Monday

My first day at Niche Hero

Bismillah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem

Assalamualaikum,

I would like to start this blog with a story that I heard from Shaikh Yassir Fazaga's CD, "Are you a monkey?"

There was a test performed by some scientists to study behavior patterns among monkeys. Five monkeys were placed in a nice, big, room-sized cage. From the top of the ceiling, bananas were suspended and a table was placed underneath them, so that the monkeys could climb up on the table to reach for the bananas. Whenever, any monkey tried, icy-cold water was sprayed on the monkey as well as the other monkeys. Now this process was repeated whenever any monkey tried to reach for the bananas. Being smart animals, the monkeys figured out that if anyone of them were to reach for the bananas, all of them would get sprayed with icy-cold water.

Once, this realization set in, one monkey was removed from the cage and was replaced by a new one. After this new monkey made friends, he would go for the bananas. When he would try to reach for the bananas, all the other monkeys would gang up and beat the living daylights out of him to save themselves from being hosed. Eventually, the new monkey got the message and would even gang up and join in the attack if another monkey would go for the bananas. Once this happened, another of the original monkeys would be taken out and replaced by a newer monkey.

After repeating this a few times, there came a time when none of the monkeys had been sprayed by the icy-cold water - in fact, they never had even seen the fire hose used for spraying them. But they still attacked any monkey that went for the bananas.

If the monkeys could speak, and if you could ask them why they attacked anyone who went for the banana, their answer would almost certainly be: “Well, I don’t really know, but that’s how we’ve always done things around here.”

Does that sound familiar? Do we sometimes feel that we are "programmed" to think in a certain way and are unable to think creatively? I will be the first to admit that I am.

Insha Allah, I hope and pray that I learn the skills necessary to come up with a WOW idea with which I can run and woo other like minded talent. I also look forward to the day when I can look back and say, "Alhamdulillah, O Allah, for this blessing. O Allah, please accept this from me and forgive my sins".

1 comment:

  1. Nice one! and congratulations on your new blog!

    ReplyDelete